Thursday, November 6, 2008

Farewell to Bankroll, and Political Gambling


So, there are times when bankroll management is a strength of mine (risk aversion, compartmentalization), and there are times like this month. I guess it started when the new ipod touch was rolled out. I had recently earned enough FPPs to purchase it via onecall.com gift certificates, but they never got them in stock. It's been nearly two months and they still don't. Eventually I think I may have lost my mind, and decided to pay cash for a 32g. I withdrew some money from p*, and reasoned that I'd just eventually do a cash bonus to make up for the $400.

Then I decided I'd take a shot at 3/5 at muckleshoot. And 2 hours later, my roll was down another $600 woo. I got a little unlucky ($300 flip, and then KK < AA), but mostly it's just what happens when you're underolled, okay. So I'm down $1000. Then I bought Guitar Hero World Tour ($200) b/c wifey was out of town for a week and I was a bit miserable. Down $1200.

My downturn could have gotten much worse when I took a pretty strong position on Obama winning the election. I ended up laying $600 to $200 across several bets. Of course I loved the price I was laying...by the week before he had to have been 10:1 or better, but obviously losing the $600 would have been much worse than winning the $200 would have been good. link to wiki article on utility

A couple of minor upticks along the way: I won the chiptalk QTOC, had small wins at 4/8 limit and online 50nl, cashed last night in the weekly CT. But in general I'm down, and may need to hunker back down at p*.

Anyhow, here's my update, which was apparently a requirement to get paid for the Obama bet by a certain Washington CT'er. Peace.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hang in there kiddo. I won a quick $1,000 in the first 10 days of October playing $50NL and $100NL. I proceeded to give $700 back the following week. I took a couple of weeks off to "recover" a little. I hunkered back down and am up 10 buy-ins so far in November. I hope to move back up to $100 this weekend. Get back into the right mindset and keep on grinding...